Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Art Closet Reveal! Before and After....

The inspiration for organizing my art closet was from the blog Pink Suede Shoe (love love love that blog!).  Here's is the picture that started it all:



Here is my "BEFORE" (some of you may need to look away as this may cause anxiety).

Wow...that's embarrassing!

And my "AFTER"!!!!!

I am SO happy with the final result!  

For my birthday, I asked my husband for the money to make an organized art closet...he was more than happy to (and I think a little relieved that he didn't need to shop for a present!:), plus the handyman that he is, he even shopped, measured and installed the 2 new mdf board shelves.  He's such a good man! 

Here's a project breakdown:
  • Purchased 2 MDF boards from Home Depot - $9.99 each.
  • Took down the rod and replaced it with one of the boards.  It is the perfect fit for my beading boxes and my table easel for painting as you can see in the photo below.


  • Purchased 16 clear shoe box containers from Home Depot - (sale!) $0.99 each.
  • Labelled each box and filled it with supplies, they fit perfectly 2 x 2 above my newly added shelf! 
At the very top of the closet is a very tall space, so any of the Christmas decorations that didn't fit into my rubbermaid containers were placed up there...as well as some Christmas craft items from boxing day!


  • Purchased 2 tall sets of plastic drawers at Canadian Tire - (sale!) $19.99 each
  • Filled them with art supplies for the kids to use. 
  • Above the plastic drawers went the second mdf board...makes a lovely set up.
The drawers are so handy as they are on wheels so the kids can roll them into any room to do their arts and crafts.  They also love that everything is labelled.  Things are so easy to find now!  



In the right corner in the photo below, you will also see 4 white boxes.  Those are photo boxes from the craft store, Michael's, which I purchased on sale for only $2.50 each...(one of my future BIG projects!).


I saw this next idea on Pinterest (see photo below).  On the right had side of the closet, attached to my wall, I have one of the plastic bag holders from Ikea.  I am using this for my rolls of wrapping paper as well as my shelving paper.  It's so awesome to have it neatly tucked away and it is such an easy idea!!


I just want to give a special mention to the sewing machine you see in my art closet.  My mom passed away in March and one of the things I "inherited" was her lovely sewing machine.  This is probably a good time to mention that "I do not know how to sew".  BUT!...I am determined to learn!  I'll start with something easy...like this pillow tutorial or this cool fancy tea towel tutorial over at one of my favourite blogs...Mini Manor.  If you love design and organizing, you'll love this blog too!  Say hi to Ashli for me!


And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is my Art closet!



"oooooooh.....ahhhhhhhhhh"


You can also find me at these great linky parties!!

20 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the shout out Catherine!!
    Lots of Love
    Ashli
    p.s. You're closet is AH-mazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be very organized! Great closet! Thanks for dropping by my place earlier and your sweet comment! I'll be posting some more soon, so if you want you can follow and stay tuned!
    Love, Olga (your newest follower!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's awesome!! I have a closet in my work room (eventually to be craft room) that needs a whole bunch of custom shelving. I think there's plumbing at the bottom of it so you can turn it into a shower??? Sometimes houses are weird!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a gorgeous new space! I love seeing newly organized closets... something about it just thrills my wannabe-organizer heart. =) Thanks so much for checking out my blog! I am following you now too, can't wait to read more of your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome transformation!!! And really an inspiration for me. My craft room could use some major help!
    Thanks for stopping by and following... I'm happy to follow you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out great! I didn't get anxiety at the before picture, but I did wonder how you took that picture of my closet without me knowing. ;)

    I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your closet looks great. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do mine. I pinned yours for inspriation.

    I'm visiting you from the Mingle With Us Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooohh awwwwww is exactly what I said looking at your transformation. My goodness, you did awesome! This is so much inspiration for me because my craft closet is bursting at the seems.
    Thanks for joining the Mingle With Us Blog Hop and following my blog. I'm following you now and excited about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had this exact project on my to do list for soooooo long! Thanks for sharing! You may have just inspired me to finally get off my booty!!!!!!!!!!!! Turned out great!

    Kim www.plumberrypie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOve how organized and pretty it looks Cath. Did you know Ashli lives near you??? I suspect in the same neighbourhood!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I love how it's so organized and you can see all of your supplies still. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your blog is adorable and full of great stuff! I'm your newest follower, and I'd love for you to stop by my blog again and follow me back if you'd like.

    xo,
    Laurie @ Gallamore West :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks awesome! I am a big fan of the pullout drawers. Mine aren't on wheels, but the whole drawer pulls out so I can dig through it on the floor. Clear storage and labels are one of my best friends too! It really does look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks great! I could really use a whole closet to organize my craft supplies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely adore your art closet! I have a thing for ultra organized spaces!

    Jessica @ Mom 4 Real

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow this is really cool. I need to do something like this in my laundry room for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the stopping by Cupcakes & Cucumbers! Here's my GFC link, or you can find it in the sidebar of my blog as well -- looks like it is working now :)
    http://www.google.com/friendconnect/signin/home?st=e%3DAOG8GaB7qgUWLyutlNuQAOTZVOLNbrB7wDhcK3yfZYB8I2q%252BOh9ennZTdKVyoy5Ap75aw59w%252FrwmbHsFrzbFR4TUtnfpkm5usKxDQCTPlzD%252FGZDtfH%252FhjLxI7N1%252Faz6XeK1Y%252FiN1eoRTdKC%252B4lL5bbKzDUs7zjac0Xf%252Bjw2rNF71mnZ8BaQOG5Zx2nnkYQdWqCI%252F3o2IcFMFTml16XZnpCzTb15DbP3oQJvDy%252Ffkrw%252Bdlu%252FvFNhARHkbFqNeYyCYK3vVpLw7hdsoQP%252B%252Bt%252F6UIo5s8ciJZtjipJ3q2tvLzo1Ff0re7r5mHdA%253D%26c%3Dpeoplesense&psinvite=&subscribeOnSignin=1

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aahhhh what a fantastic improvement!!! Well done and thanks for sharing the steps you went through to get it there.
    My Command Centre Organisation

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! How about I'll come do your linen closet, if you come do my craft closet? Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! When you finish Laura's closet, how about mine next?

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and welcome your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...